George Stratford Mills

George Stratford Mills was an architect with a national reputation. He designed many Toledo buildings as well as many across the country; from Boston to San Francisco. [John M. Killits, ed., Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio, 1623-1923, vol.3 (Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1923), p.387]. George S. Mills was born in London, England, on December 5, 1866, the son of George and Mary Mills. When he was four the family travelled to the United States and settled in St. Louis, Missouri. His father was a journalist who, during his life, served as the editor of two St. Louis newspapers.

George Mills attended St. Louis public schools and then Washington University in St. louis. After he graduated from the University's manual training school in 1884, he decided to pursue a career in architecture. [Charles S. Van Tassel, ed., The Story of Maumee Valley, Toledo, and the Sandusky Region, vol.4 (Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1929), p.331]. He came to Toledo in August 1885 to teach mechanical drawing at the Scott Manual Training School. After three years he was made superintendent of the school. He left the school in November 1892 when he and a partner formed the architecture firm of Mills & Wachter. The firm closed in 1897 so George S. Mills practiced alone for the next fifteen years.

In 1912 he became head partner in the firm of Mills, Rhines, Bellman & Nordhoff. ("George S. Mills," Toledo Blade, 27 December 1939). An honored architect, during his long career he designed such buildings ad the Commodore Perry Hotel, the Ohio Bank Building and the Toledo Safety Building. He was elected vice-president of the American Institute of Architects in 1918-1919. He also served on the Institute's executive committee at that time. In addition, he was president of the State Board of Examiners. (Killits, p.387).

WOODLAWN HOURS

Summer: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Winter: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

WOODLAWN LOCATION

1502 W. Central Avenue
Toledo, Ohio 43606

CONTACT WOODLAWN

419-472-2186