Major Merrill N. Pheatt
Major Merrill N. Pheatt was not only a successful military man but was also one of the pioneers of Toledo radio. Pheatt was born in 1893, and was educated in the Toledo school system.
Following his work as a flier in World War I, Major Pheatt returned to Toledo and began a career in radio. He worked at WPSD radio and was eventually the Executive of Public Relations at the station. In 1942, after the United States entered World War II, Mr.Pheatt left his radio position to join in the war effort. He was commissioned as a lieutenant and rose to the rank of major. He was stationed at Santa Ana, California during the war and remained there until his death.
Major Pheatt was also one of Toledos well-known fire pikers, and kept his boots and helmet ready at Fire Station No.3 which was located on Superior Street. He served as an auxiliary to the regular fire fighters at some of the citys biggest blazes. He showed a keen interest in the fire department rescue squad and often provided new members with their first helmets.
Major Pheatt was also active in many civic enterprises throughout Toledo. Perhaps his most important accomplishment as a civic leader was the construction of the illuminated glass fountain in the Civic Center.
Major Pheatt found time to be a member of numerous organizations including: past president of the Toledo Exchange Club, member of Collingwood Presbyterian Church, the Toledo Post, American Legion, and the aviation committee of the Toledo Chamber of Commerce.
Major Pheatt left behind a wife, Margaret, and a daughter, Peggy. His only son, Merrill Jr., drowned in a canoeing accident in 1938. The fifty-three year old Pheatt died on December 12,1946 after succumbing to a heart ailment which had plagued him for six months. Immediately following his death, he was airlifted back to Toledo to where he was buried at Woodlawn Cemetery. (Toledo Biographical Scrapbook, Local History Room, Toledo Lucas County Public Library).