The Lewis Family
The Lewis Family were successful Toledoans who had various ties to different businesses in Toledo. Dora Glidden Lewis was born June 25, 1855, in Caldwell, Ohio. She came to Toledo when she was twenty-seven years old. Dora was the widow of Charles T. Lewis, the co-founder of the Toledo law firm of Doyle & Lewis. Charles Lewis had been born in 1850. He was well known as a leading Railway attorney of Ohio and was a member of the Toledo Bar for over thirty years. Mr. Lewis also served as president of the Toledo Board of Education and was one of the originators of the Ashland Avenue Baptist Church. He passed away in 1918.(Toledo Blade, 6 September 1938). Mrs. Lewis died December 23, 1937 at the age of 82. She was survived by her sons Howard, Frank, William and Charles T. Lewis, Jr., and a daughter, Mrs. S.O. Richardson, III.(Ibid., 24 December 1937).
Howard Lewis was born in Caldwell, Ohio and moved to Toledo with his parents when he was five. He graduated from Toledo High School and the Doane Academy in Granville, Ohio. In 1900, he graduated from Denison University and in 1903 he graduated from Harvard Law School. That same year, Howard Lewis was admitted to the Ohio Bar and entered private practice with his father's law firm, and later Judge John H. Doyle. In 1910, he became a senior partner at Doyle, Lewis & Warner. He specialized in general corporate practice and was the director of several industrial concerns including the Conklin Pen Company, Fifty Associates Company, and the Toledo Sugar Company. Howard was a member of the American Bar Association for almost fifty years. He was also a member of the Toledo Country Club, the Toledo Club, the Ashland Avenue Baptist Church and the Ohio Society of New York. He was also a member of the boards of Woodlawn Cemetery, Lamson Brothers Company, and Denison University. He died December 10, 1950.(Ibid., 11 December 1950).
Frank Lewis was born June 18, 1879 in Caldwell, Ohio. He attended Toledo Public Schools, Doane Academy, and graduated from Denison University with a bachelor of arts degree in 1902. In 1905, he received his law degree from Harvard Law College and was admitted to the bar the same year. He entered practice with his father following his graduation from Harvard and was admitted to a partnership in his fathers law firm in 1910. Mr. Lewis was a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity, The Toledo Club, The Toledo Country Club, Carranor Hunt and Polo Club, and the Everglades Club in Palm Beach, Florida. He was an attorney for 42 years and was secretary of the Toledo Blade from June 9, 1937 to May 21, 1946. He died May 28, 1947 at the age of 67.(Ibid., 28 May 1947).
William Glidden Lewis managed a Perrysburg farm for 25 years. He attended Ohio State University. His mother, who died about a year prior to William Lewis's death, resided with him. Mr. Lewis never married. He died of a heart attack on February 6, 1939 at the age of 53.(Toledo Times, 7 February 1939).
Charles T. Lewis, Jr. was born in Toledo on July 7, 1892. He graduated from the Lawrenceville school in Lawrenceville, New Jersey in 1912. In 1916 he graduated from Yale University and in 1920 he graduated from Harvard. He was admitted to the bar and joined his father's law firm. He remained in Toledo until 1926 when he went to Columbus as counsel for the New York Central Railroad and moved to the Cleveland office of the railroad. During World War I he served as secretary to Brand Whitlock who was then American Ambassador to Belgium. He died March 1, 1941.(Toledo Blade, 1 March 1941).